Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Light It Up with Art Glitter

Today is my last post on the Art Glitter blog. I have had such a great time designing for Art Glitter. I have learned so much about their products, and have become slightly obsessive with all of it. This position has helped me grow as a person, and I have truly loved every minute of it. I want to Thank the entire Art Glitter staff for all of the support, inspiration, and glittery goodness over the past year. It has been a fun, rewarding experience.

My life is always an adventure, and since we are here in Hawaii, I am going to be living more of the Hawaiian way... a slower pace, relaxing, and I want to see as much as I can while we are here, so my time will be more limited. I promise I will not stop crafting or using glitter. Glitter will ALWAYS be a part of me.

For my last project, I wanted to do something fun, a little recycled, and glittery (duh, isn't that what this is all about)!

I made party lights, perfect for spring and summer!



Products used:
Art Glitter: Ultrafine Opaque in #355 Sunrise, #44 Kelly, #233 Blue Hawaii, Chunky Opaque Hologram in #124 Jet Eye.
Designer Dries Clear Adhesive
Christmas Lights or Party Lights
Egg Cartons. At least as many "eggs" as you have lights. My strand had 25 lights, so I used three dozen egg cartons.
Spray Paint - I went with white (if you want to alter the egg carton colors)
Paint brush
knife to cut, I used a pocket knife since that is what I could find. (gotta love moving).

I started with the egg cartons. I used the paper ones, since I was planning on spray painting them. Spray painting on the Styrofoam ones do not work as well since spray paint eats at the Styrofoam. So I cut them apart and laid them out on a piece of cardboard outside.



I then sprayed them with spray paint. This is tricky since they kind of blow around because they are so light weight. But I did a couple coats. The cartons really soak up the spray, but I wanted them to be a little lighter color.


After they dried overnight, it was humid in Hawaii so it took a little longer, I began to add the glitter. I knew that I wanted to alternate between the three glitters I chose so I did at least 8 of each color.


I painted Designer Dries Clear Adhesive around the edges of the egg carton, and then dunked them into the glitter to cover them.



  

Now after those dried, I needed to add the lights. I took my knife, and cut an "x" in the bottom of each "flower". 

 
Then inserted the party lights. I had pretty large lights so I had to make a bigger "x" but do it based on the size of your lights. You want it so the light goes in, but won't slip off.  If need be, you could adhere the light to the base of your flower so it doesn't move with hot glue.


I still wanted to add more glitter at this point, probably because there are so many beautiful Art Glitter colors. I have been wanting to use the Chunky Opaque Hologram Glitter, because it is my favorite. So I busted out my Jet Eye. It may be true love, since I love its super bling. I painted the tip of the light with Designer Dries Clear Adhesive, and just dipped it into the container.


 The next step was to hang them up! Here are a bunch of amazing pictures of the final project.



i


Thank you all for your kind feedback over the year. This was a fun project and a great way to welcome Spring, and all those Back Yard Barbeques coming up! Now please stop by my blog oneheartscrapper, for another glitter project. I will also be sharing a story on why glitter is so important to me.

Have a wonderfully glittery year, and good luck to the New Design Team!! I can't wait to see what they have created!!

2 comments: